Meet Dr. Cheryl L. Cushman
The brief descriptions below are designed to familiarize you with our doctor's training, professional credentials and work experience.
State Dental Licenses:
- Georgia Dental License
- Michigan Dental License
- 1976-1979: Allen Park High School
- 1979-1983: The University of Michigan - Bachelor of Science in Biology
- 1984-1988: Case Western Reserve School of Dentistry - Doctor of Dental Surgery
- 1988-1989: Emory University - General Practice Residency
- 1991-1993: The Medical College of Georgia - Certificate in the Specialty of Periodontics
- 1988-1993: Practice of General Dentistry
- 1993-Present: Practice Limited to Periodontics
1995-Present: Associate Clinical Professor Medical College of Georgia Department of Graduate Periodontics
- The American Academy of Periodontology
- The Georgia Society of Periodontists- President 2004-2006
- The Southern Academy of Periodontology
- The American Dental Association
- The Georgia Dental Association
- The Northwestern District Dental Society
- The Hinman Dental Society
- Atlanta's Top Dentists - Atlanta Magazine- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Removal of Interproximal Subgingival Plaque by Hand and Automatic Toothbrushes - The Journal of Periodontology 1995
- Periodontal - Systemic Links: A Review - GDA Action October 2002
Dr. Cheryl Cushman grew up near Detroit, Michigan. She attended The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, receiving a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology. She completed her dental training at Case Western Reserve University School of Dentistry in 1988. Dr. Cushman then moved to Atlanta for an advanced General Practice Residency training program at Emory University and the Veteran's Administration Hospital. She practiced for two years as a general dentist in Marietta before deciding to further her education. Dr. Cushman received a certificate in the Specialty of Periodontics at The Medical College of Georgia in 1993 and opened her periodontal practice that year. She has been an Associate Professor at The Medical College of Georgia's Graduate Periodontal Program since 1995. Dr. Cushman served as the President of The Georgia Society of Periodontists from 2004 to -2006 and is a member of the prestigious Hinman Dental Society in Atlanta. Her professional colleagues have voted Dr. Cushman as one of "Atlanta's Top Dentists" in 2009 thru present.
In her spare time, Dr. Cushman enjoys working out, reading, cooking, travel, and spending time with her family. Dr. Cushman is married to William "Clay" Cushman, a history teacher and coach at Woodward Academy. Their son, Mead, is a Senior in high school at Woodward Academy and plays Varsity Soccer team. Dr. Cushman is a firm believer in humane animal treatment and has rescued numerous animals over the last 20 years. She currently has three cats and two dogs.
For over 20 years, Dr. Cushman has continued her education with advanced training in dental implants and the latest periodontal treatment modalities. She and her staff feel it is important to offer a relaxed, caring environment while providing the best periodontal care for each individual patient.